Saturday, January 11, 2014

Morals & Respect

I'm really confused because in my house, it seems like our morals and values are all over the place....Before starting at Sacred Heart, I was working 4 part time jobs, just to barely be able to make ends meet for myself. I knew things had to change when I started getting behind on bills, school loans, and barely had time for myself. So the search for graduate school begun, but it took a lot of convincing on my parents part to even begin to let them think that graduate school was the right decision. Morals and respect people, morals and respect.

So first of all, I feel like my family has set unattainable goals for me...For example, this weekend, I came home to babysit so my parents could go on a cruise with some friends who have younger children. I did that because I know how much my family needs to get out and do things. They come back and I get told immediately of all the things that I didn't do, and we aren't just talking one thing here...I didn't do the laundry, the dogs weren't let out, the animals weren't fed, the house wasn't vacuumed...but the thing is, I WASN'T HOME!

However, my younger brother gets let off the hook more than anyone else. Megan works 4 jobs, but Daniel works 0 and somehow he gets treated with far more respect than myself. I mean, far more. They look at me and it's like I don't do enough so that I do more and more and more and more and finally feel stressed enough to have just an ounce of respect. I don't understand why?

What does someone have to do to gain some respect when they are the oldest? I'm so well behaved, I don't party, I don't do drugs, I don't drink (even if it is legal) and I'm not out all night with my friends. So why treat the one who does all those things differently? I mean, hello, I finished college and he didn't, I'm in a freaking masters program for Gods sake. Where is the respect? I feel like it never ends.

Do you say something? I've tried and they just tell me to grow up and stop acting like a baby. Well, I don't know how that is possible when all I ever do is get treated like a piece of dirt and I'm not trusted or viewed as an adult. Does anyone else out there deal with this problem? Does it drive you crazy? Comment and let me know...I really hope nobody else struggles with this, but just know that you aren't alone! I know it feels like I'm complaining but sometimes this blog will become about personal issues and how to solve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment